The Really Useful Book of Learning and Earning (RUBLE) for adults using homelessness services
This edition of the Really Useful Book of Learning and Earning (RUBLE) is a free resource for direct use by adults using homelessness services to help them think about their learning and development, plan ahead and develop strategies for achieving their goals.
The book has been written by NIACE with support from Homeless Link and funding from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. The RUBLE format has already proved popular and effective with people experiencing mental health difficulties and young adult carers.
The book contains information, advice and activities to support adults using homelessness services to take positive steps forward in their lives. It includes:
- Activities to encourage people to think positively and reflect on the skills they have and the skills they would like to develop.
- Information about different types of learning and the benefits of learning, with examples of the positive difference that learning has made to people who have been homeless.
- Hints and tips about applying for jobs, creating a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and going to interviews.
- Details about self-employment and volunteering, and links to further information and sources of support.
- Advice and support on action planning and setting short, medium and long-term goals.
- Diary pages to help people stay organised and in control.
- Ideas to encourage positive health and well-being, and to support people to take control of their money.
- Links to useful websites and helplines.