About Learning and Work Institute
We are an independent policy, research and development organisation dedicated to lifelong learning, full employment and inclusion. We research what works, influence policy, develop new ways of thinking, and help implement new approaches.
Working with partners, we inspire people to learn and help transform people’s experiences of learning and employment. What we do benefits individuals, families, communities and the wider economy.
We want everyone to have an opportunity to realise their ambitions and potential in learning, work and throughout life. We believe a better skilled workforce, in better paid jobs, is good for business, good for the economy, and good for society. We want learning and work to count.
Learning and work count because:
- We need more people finding work, staying in work and building their careers
- We need to reduce gaps in learning and employment for disadvantaged communities
- We need learning opportunities throughout life for stronger families, healthier people, more inclusive communities
- We need a more balanced and more productive economy
But there are significant challenges:
- Resources are tight – we need to make every pound count
- Productivity is too low – employers, individuals and government do not invest enough in training
- Worklessness is still too high – there are over 3 million people on benefits
- Skills and employment gaps are too large – we need to close them so that communities and people can benefit
- Learning investment is too focused on younger people at the expense of adults across their careers and in retirement
Our ambition is for:
- Active citizens and healthy communities: helping to build more vibrant, tolerant, safe and healthy communities through participation in learning and work.
- Equality and inclusion for social justice and life chances: a society where everyone has the opportunity to learn, build skills and work regardless of their background.
- Full employment and high quality work: ensuring everyone who can work has the opportunity to do so and to progress at work, with good support for everyone.
- Higher productivity for a stronger economy: driving economic growth, productivity and successful businesses through improvements in learning and employment support.
Our values are:
- Ambition: the leading and powerful voice for the benefits of lifelong learning and economic inclusion.
- Expertise: using evidence-based thinking to deliver real-world change in learning, skills and employment.
- Independence: an unshakeable commitment to being open-minded, honest and fair.
- Collaboration: putting partnership and networking at the heart of what we do and how we operate.
The work we do is aimed at securing positive change for individuals and communities to secure increased access to learning and skills and improved employability and career progression.
Our impact report sets out our campaigning, research, development projects and policy advice for 2018 – 2019. All have been achieved with the support from a range of partners and stakeholders.